Almond ice cream – the famous helado de almendras - has been produced on Mallorca since the 16thcentury, at that time using ice stored in "snow houses" in the Tramuntana mountains. Click here to read all about it. Thanks to modern refrigeration techniques you can make your own now. Here is how:
- 200 g peeled almonds, toasted and ground
- 1 litre of milk
- 200 g sugar (use less or more if you wish)
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of corn starch
- ½ a cinnamon stick
- peel of 1 orange
- Take 1 cup of the milk and put it into the freezer. Pour the rest of the milk into a saucepan, mix in the sugar, lemon peel, and cinnamon stick and put on at a low heat.
- Mix the egg yolks, corn flower and ice-cold milk taken from the freezer in a separate bowl and stir into the mixture you have on the hob.
- Stir this mixture (preferably with a wooden spatula) until your almond ice cream starts to thicken. Don't let it boil or you'll spoil it.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and stir in the ground almonds. Let it cool.
- Once your mixture has cooled down to room temperature, fill it into a container suitable for freezing and put it in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so with your wooden spatula to prevent the sugar from crystalizing.
- Make sure to take your delicious home-made almond ice-cream out of the freezer 15 minutes before serving.
Best served with a slice of Mallorquin almond cake or an ensaimada.
Enjoy. Qué aproveche!
My friend Isabel's family recipe
#homemadealmondicecream #authenticmallorcanicecream #mallorcanalmondicecream #AlmondicecreamMallorca #heladodealmendrasmallorca #mallorquinicecream #traditionalicecreammallorca
By Ulla Rahn-Huber
4 August, 2022