Who doesn't know tumbet, one of the most traditional of Mallorcan dishes? Simply, this is a wonderful casserole of whatever your veg garden has to offer during the summer season: tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, peppers … Here, we give you the recipe for the cold weather cousin to the warm weather staple. This version isn’t vegetarian but it is delicious.
Ingredients (Serves 4) #
500g hake or angelfish
4 large tomatoes, chopped
4 medium potatoes
2 medium aubergines (eggplant)
3 large green peppers
1 chopped onion
2 garlic cloves chopped
- Cut the fish into small fillets, fry it and put to one side.
- Wash the aubergines and cut them into fine slices Leave them in a colander with salt for an hour to remove the bitterness. Then sprinkle with flour, fry and put to one side.
- Aside, cut the peppers into long strips and fry them on a low flame.
- Peel and wash the potatoes, cut them into fine slices and fry them, season them and place them in quite a deep round earthenware dish (around 23 mm).
- Place alternate layers of fried peppers, aubergines and fish and repeat the operation with potatoes and peppers.
- Meanwhile, make a sauce by gently frying the onion, garlic and the tomatoes. Leave everything in the oil for a few minutes, and then strain through a sieve.
- Pour this sauce on the tumbet and bake for a few minutes on medium heat.
Affordable Mallorca Tip: Some people serve with a boiled/fried egg or bread.
By Stephanie Horsman
23 November, 2019