When one has tasted watermelon, he knows what the angels eat. ~ Mark Twain
During the summer months on Mallorca, the heat can be oppressive. Eating certain foods (while sitting under a shade tree) helps keep us cool. And Mallorca's Best Food Markets are a great place to find all the ingredients you need for this salad. You can find all you need anywhere you live on the island.
The Recipe #
Here's my recipe for a quick lunch or dinner salad satisfies most any of my friends and family. Paired with a light rosé from Ca’n Novell and you will continue to support our local vineyards at a time when they need our business.
Ingredients (serves 4) #
- 1 kg of water melon
- 500 g honey melon
- 1 cucumber
- 2 packs of mozzarella (make it a good one!)
- Some black olives
- 1 or 2 fresh chillies
- 1 lemon
- Fleur de Sel d'Estrenc
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- A handful of fresh basil leaves
- Peel and cut water and honey melon in bite-sized cubes and slice cucumber. Put it all in a big bowl. Remove pips from olives, cut in slices and add to melon and cucumber mix.
- For your dressing, deseed chillies and chop finely; wash lemon with hot water, grate the zest and squeeze the juice. Mix chillies, lemon zest and juice with olive oil, add Fleur de Sel d'Estrenc to your taste. Pour dressing over your salad
- Strain the mozzarella, cut in pieces of about 1 x 1 cm and add carefully so as not to squash them up (would taste equally good but not look half as inviting)
- Pluck the basil leaves of the stem and sprinkle them over your salad.
AM Tip: By squashing the olives with the flat side of your cutting knife first, it's easy to get the pips out.
Also Try and bbq a couple thick slices of watermelon you will love the this amazing BBQ flavor.
By Ulla Rahn-Huber
29 July, 2021