The Legalities of Working on Mallorca as an Expat

29 abril 2023

Inspiration usually comes during work rather than before it. ~ Maya Angelou

All about permissions and formalities #

Registering to work in Spain is relatively straightforward. First of all, you have to apply for residency in Spain, the formalities to be observed being slightly different for EU citizens and non-EU citizens. Once you hold your residency card in hands, you can attend the job centre and begin your search for work (if you are not arriving to the country with secure employment.)

As well as holding a valid residencia, you must also apply for a social security number. This number will be used in reference to your taxes, whereby a tax return must be completed every year between May and June, unless you earn under 6,000 € per annum.

If you are a business owner, or work on a self-employed basis you must register as Autónomo. You will be responsible for managing your own taxes each month, unless you pay a gestoría a fee to manage your accounts for you.

If you are employed, you will either be on a contrato indefinido or contrato temporada. An indefinite contract relates to a full or part time position within a company, and a temporary contract may be seasonal or in relation to completion of specific work or projects. In these cases, you should receive monthly pay slips (nóminas) that show your salary, with deductions for your social security and state taxes (IRPF).

Whether you are self-employed or employed has no bearing on whether you complete a tax return or not, as anyone who has been legally working in the country, for 182 days, is obliged to complete the tax return regardless.

DISCLAIMER: All information contained in this article is based on personal experience and opinion and may change due to changing laws and regulations.

Sources #


29 abril, 2023


Get Directions

En este sitio se utilizan cookies para ofrecer una experiencia más personalizada.

Puede obtener más información de las mismas en nuestra "Política de cookies".